Favorite Pastime - Resting!

Favorite Pastime - Resting!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Speed is Coming Back!!!

Good Morning Barefooters,
Well, I passed another great milestone this morning.  Since it started out so cold (30 degrees) I decided to wait a couple hours before going out for my speed trial.  I had planned to start working on my speed once the cold weather arrived so I figured this was a good time to start.  I also didn't want to go too long distance wise today, since I can still see the blood blister remnants on both feet from last Saturday's 6 miler.
So I went out when the temp got up to 37, but of course the pavement was still much cooler.  I started off on my 3.1 mile loop at a fairly quick pace and it took over a mile before my feet began to "thaw out" and I had some feeling in my toes and soles.  Actually I was sort of afraid I might be doing some damage but after stopping to check at the half mile and again at the two mile point I was satisfied that the feet were holding up fine, just maybe not as sensitive as I'm used to, what with the colder pavement temperature.  I tried to really turn it on in the last mile, but attempted to stay ever mindful of the soft foot landing, the quick cadence and the slight "lean" forward to increase my speed.  With a half mile to go I ran by a large group of resting bikers who were looking on in amazement.  One gal asked me if I was having fun and I shouted "Of course, nothing like it!"  Then she yelled, "You should be doing the Monumental (Marathon in Indy today)" to which I just gave a thumbs up.  I thought, I still can't nearly do that distance, but I was really enjoying the speed finally and pushed hard though to the end.  I was really winded at the end but it felt so good to be pushing it again.  And the result:  a 5K at a 8:58 pace!!!  Sort of a new PR.  Of course it's nothing like my old speed, but it is a full 1 to 1.5 minutes faster than my normal pace barefoot.  So this was very encouraging...there may just be a future here!  Praise God!
Happy Running,
Barefoot Dan
Barefoot Miles for the Week = 6.2 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment