Favorite Pastime - Resting!

Favorite Pastime - Resting!

Thursday, September 22, 2011

City Run

Good morning barefooters!  Last night was my first barefoot city run, if you call Westfield IN a city...really more of a town.  I was hoping to get in 3 miles or so, to make up for cutting my Monday run short due to rain (only ran 1.5 miles hoping to avoid blisters) The idea was to meet my buddy Barefoot Tim at the local track and get some foot friendly running in on the rubberized surface.  But much to our disappointment the middle school football team was having a game (how dare they use their own facility!)   So for Plan B we decided to do a couple of loops through town which gave us the opportunity to experience a whole range of surfaces:  smooth asphalt, rough asphalt, concrete, pebble strewn asphalt, grass, tree debris littered concrete, and even a nice redbrick sidewalk (we liked the bricks!)  We stopped at the halfway point and checked our feet and decided to continue on for a 2nd loop.  This gave us a nice 3 miler and some great conversation along the way.  It was a fairly warm evening and we topped it off with an ice bath after...yes, I'm a dork and actually bungee'd in my two 5-gallon buckets of ice water in the bed of my S-10 pickup.  I iced for 3 min and Tim stopped after 1 min (it definitely takes some getting used to)...the icing has certainly been shortening my recovery times between runs and is minimizing the blister I'm still fighting on the ball of my right foot.  I hope to do a 3 miler tomorrow (Friday) and if possible a 1.86 on the cross country course Sat. am with one or two of my daughters.  Sitting here this morning, my feet feel "electrified"!

No comments:

Post a Comment